Muscles have always been considered as the body’s primary movers, but recent studies have shown that they play a more crucial role in overall health. A team of researchers, headed by Bente Klarlund Pedersen, made a groundbreaking discovery that muscles produce hormone-like molecules, known as “myokines,” when they contract. This revelation has expanded our understanding of the benefits of exercise on the entire body. Let’s dive into this fascinating discovery!
Myokines are specialized proteins that are generated and secreted by contracting muscles and have a positive impact on various systems in the body. Some of the effects of myokines include:
- Decreasing dangerous visceral fat and converting white fat into brown fat, which has anti-inflammatory effects
- Improving bone mineral density and countering osteoporosis
- Boosting resting energy expenditure and promoting alertness
- Stimulating the formation of new blood vessels, which is crucial for overall health and disease prevention
- Reducing chronic systemic inflammation
- Improving the functioning of the pancreas, liver, and gut
- Enhancing learning and memory
- Improving insulin sensitivity and lowering the risk of diabetes
- Recruiting and activating immune cells to fight off infections and diseases
- Reducing the risk of certain cancers, such as colon, prostate, and breast cancer
The importance of resistance training to maintain overall health and prevent various diseases is widely known, but the discovery of myokines sheds light on the mechanisms behind these benefits. Physical activity, including aerobic and strength training, has been shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, depression, and certain cancers, as well as control weight, improve bone density, and boost energy levels. The production of myokines through exercise plays a crucial role in regulating the body’s various systems and maintaining overall health, highlighting the significance of exercise in our daily lives.
To learn more about X-Force Body and how we can help you optimize myokine production through our state-of-the-art workouts, contact us today!
Take the first step.
Complete the form and one of our coaches will contact you to talk about your fat-loss goals and schedule your FREE workout!
No obligations, No pressure. Ever.
Try X-Force Body one time and you'll see why we're the ONLY choice for rapid, sustainable (and FUN) fat loss.
"I feel stronger. I sleep better. My eating habits have completely changed. I have a lot of energy. I was also taking thyroid medications when I started. Since then, I'm down to half of the medications I was taking." *Maria Torri, Palm Harbor
Attend an upcoming Discovery Session and learn more about the X-Force Body Program!
Who’s X-Force Body?
Busy people don’t have time to waste on exercise that doesn’t work. At X-Force Body, our mission is to inspire you to become leaner, stronger and healthier so you can live your best life. We deliver 30-minute strength workouts, twice per week with an expert coach. We will help you look and feel your best in a fraction of the time.
We are driven to help others create the freedom to be who they want to be, while becoming healthier, happier and more confident. Learn More.
- Put Your Heart Into It: Strength Training For Heart Health March 28, 2023
- Beyond Movement: What You Need To Know About Muscles & Myokines February 3, 2023
- Muscle Mass: The New Vital Sign December 13, 2022
- Let’s Refresh! Sleep Do’s and Don’ts November 14, 2022
- Quit the Sit: How Sitting Too Much Can Affect Your Health￼ September 15, 2022